We all know the thrill of a good unboxing video—that feeling of anticipation leading up to the exciting (and sometimes shocking) reveal of a case or pallet’s contents. And knowing that 90 percent of people say they discover new brands or products on YouTube, it’s more important than ever to ensure your popular video stands out from the crowd. To help resellers think outside the box when it comes to the world of unboxing videos, we’ve put together tips on how to create and record a compelling unboxing video that truly shows your product and personality!
The main purpose of recording an unboxing video is to promote your business on your primary platform and social media. But you also want to build a trusted brand that resonates with potential buyers and share your unboxing experience. Use this opportunity to showcase your personality and interests. For example, specific products like toys provide you with an opportunity to have fun. Toy unboxings, and toy reviews, will allow you to truly connect with your audience based on what your video shows. This has the potential to generate millions of views. People prefer to shop with brands that feel genuine, so be sure to share your real opinions when opening the box, and provide constructive feedback. Also, every product review doesn’t have to be glowing. When it comes to the most popular unboxings, audiences will appreciate your candor, and your youtube channel can become a valuable resource for shoppers. When you film an unboxing, in a way it provides your viewers with what could be considered a “free sample” or a sneak preview of what to expect if they decide to shop based on your recommendations.
Audio and Visual
Before filming your unboxing videos on youtube, there are a few boxes to check off for strong audio and visual experience:
- Angle your camera to take advantage of light sources and avoid a dark screen or shadows
- Choose a backdrop that represents your business and isn’t too cluttered or distracting
- Look directly at the camera so you’re addressing the audience, and don’t forget to smile—a friendly face goes a long way!
- Reduce background noise as much as possible to keep your audio clear and crisp
- Consider including an intro theme song or closing tune during the editing process
- Ensure that the first 10 seconds look compelling and draw audiences in to watch the full video
- Experiment with different camera placements, cuts, and zooming to find what works best
- For more advanced resellers, include on-screen text when it makes sense (i.e. call out a particular product link, encourage subscribers, provide guest names, etc.)
By following these tips and tricks of the trade, you can ensure that your video is reflected in the best light (literally).
One benefit of people opening and filming unboxing videos is that you don’t need an entire film crew or a garage of studio-grade equipment to make it happen. For unboxing beginners, you can invest in a mobile phone tripod, a ring light, and maybe some clip-on microphones. This will keep expenses low while enabling you to produce a quality video. For intermediate influencers to unboxing pros, you might consider investing in a live stream camera or multiple cameras, light stands, wireless microphones, and professional editing software. Higher-grade equipment will result in a more polished end result and you gain access to advanced videography features. With the right equipment, your cardboard box, and your box cutter you are ready to tackle your unboxing head-on.
It’s hard to go wrong with an unboxing video. But we hope that these technical tips and details will help resellers of all levels to create a compelling unboxing video. And don’t forget to enter those videos in our #BULQUnboxed Contest from now through Friday, May 7. Winners will be announced on May 14, so best of luck!
Still need a bit of inspiration? Check out some of these amazing unboxing videos from fellow BULQ HULQs and resellers!
- Pallet Jackin’ – Kitchen Appliance Unboxing
- Amber Dawn – Women’s Apparel Unboxing
- Rav1 & Lil Mis E – Books and Movie Unboxing
- Heather Hooks – Home & Kitchen Unboxing
- BULQ Team – Home Goods Unboxing