Weddings. Pool parties. BBQs. Yard work. Ah, the joys (and chores) of summer. If that list sounds familiar, it’s because soon those summer events will be driving a lot of demand on eBay. Buyers will be searching for centerpieces, inflatables, BBQ tongs and chainsaws. Yes, chainsaws. And whole lot more.
I sat down with eBay’s U.S.-based merchandising managers (the folks that predict demand, secure product from sellers and market the merchandise on eBay) to get the inside scoop on what’s going to be hot this summer. Here’s the 411:
In the CSA category (Clothing, Shoes and Accessories), we see some trends that you may want to consider in your listing and merchandising strategies:
- Sandals & flip flops tend to sell more quickly in early summer (pre-July 4) and then prices fall with markdowns as season winds up.
- Athletic shoes have steady, strong demand throughout summer with uptick in August for Back to School shopping.
- A handful of women’s shoe brands have shown surprising year-over-year growth: Skechers, Vionic, Converse, Yves Saint Laurent, and Alegria.
- We’re seeing high demand but low supply in…
- Men’s shoes with extra-wide sizing
- Mens’ casual shoes (Vans, Converse, boat shoes, driving moccasins)
- Slides style shoes and backpacks are both trendy right now, in both Men’s & Women’s
- Men’s streetwear trend in hats
In Home and Garden it’s mostly about the great outdoors. We’ll see high demand for…
- Patio furniture (especially zero gravity chairs)
- Outdoor accessories like inflatable furniture, outdoor rugs, pillows, and décor
- Pool equipment like inflatables and floaties
- Power equipment like lawnmowers, chainsaws, weed whackers, large generators
The Fourth of July will drive some demand for patriotic-themed party supplies and decorations, so if you have those items, list them now, well in advance of the holiday.
And, of course, don’t forget Back to School/ Back to College. Demand will increase for bedding, especially XL twin sheet sets and comforters. Small appliances for dorm-room living, especially coffee makers under $20, will be very popular as summer rolls on. Look for Keurig, Nutribullet, Cuisinart, and Instapot brands in the small appliances category.
In Sporting Goods, eBay will be highlighting Cycling and Golf in marketing efforts. Golf clubs are always the big seasonal favorite, but you can also expect to see demand around golf balls, plus shorts and polo shirts for summer and 1/4 zip shirts and jackets for the fall.
In the Cycling category, we see strong sales on bikes throughout the summer, with lots of opportunities on both the higher-end bikes for enthusiasts, cruisers in the summer and commuters as we get toward fall. Expert cyclists are upgrading and riding year round, so there are always opportunities with parts and accessories—categories that are strong throughout the year.
Other summer opportunities include Camping & Hiking, across tents, water bottles, backpacks, flashlights, and cooking supplies. These keep building through July, so almost as long as people are out there camping and hiking, they’re buying supplies for it.
Lastly, summer season is primetime for water sports. We see that inner tubes, stand-up paddleboards, and inflatables and other floaties do really well. These are also popular through end of July, but have already begun to ramp now, so good to get them listed soon.
So there you have it: your sourcing and listing game plan for Summer. Sellers, tell us, are there items that traditionally do well for you in summertime? Let us know in the comments.
BULQ is bringing you some of the most relevant and informative tips and advice from around the web to help you sell better. Interested in contributing tips on sourcing and selling? Let us know.