It’s that time of year again! ‘Tis the season to turn back the clocks and leap forward into a fresh start. For many, the coming of spring brings up thoughts of exciting things to come: spring break, baseball’s spring training, warmer weather and, of course, spring cleaning.
In the reselling world, however, spring also means it’s time to start gearing up for some of the year’s hottest retail moments. From sports memorabilia, to cleaning supplies and even bathing suits, buyers will soon be looking to score essential seasonal items at the best prices. That means it’s up to you to source these products in advance to meet shoppers’ demands and ensure a successful spring selling season.
So, how can resellers figure out what seasonal spring items will best meet their customers’ demands? That’s where we can help! We’ve broken down the hottest trends of this upcoming season so you know how to make this your best spring sourcing yet.
Spring 2019 Trends by Category
Apparel & Accessories
In the Apparel & Accessories category, there are some hot trends that you may want to consider in your sourcing and listing strategies:
- Some of this season’s biggest trends are an ode to vintage style, which is great for resellers looking to flip secondhand apparel. According to Who What Wear, items such as 80’s shoulder blazers and top-handle bags will be in high demand, so it’s a good time to search thrift stores and vintage shops for one-of-a-kind inventory that can appeal to fashion-forward shoppers.
- As last year’s athleisure trend continues to evolve, athletic statement pieces, such as chunky, colorful sneakers and bike shorts, are taking center stage, adding a touch of flair to this already widely popular style.
- As more shoppers gear up for the warm weather and more outdoor time, spring dresses and accessories also spike in demand. Think wrap dresses and robe coats, boho-chic styles, and oval sunglasses.
Home & Garden
Home & Garden needs focus on outdoor activities, spring cleaning, and giving your home a fresh start. Demand consistently spikes around a handful of subcategories:
- Outdoor furniture and accessories are always a huge necessity this time of year. As the weather starts to improve, more customers will be rushing to furnish their backyards and patios with seasonally appropriate decor. Families will soon be grilling and hosting outdoor cookouts to celebrate the warm weather. With this in mind, consider marketing to a younger family demographic, as many of these shoppers are looking to start on growing their furniture and decor collection.
- Mother’s Day is the perfect holiday to market trendy home decor products. Consumers will be looking for brands that cater to to stylish, yet affordable, home decor.
- Pool equipment, like inflatables and floaties, are also great to source this time of year. Every summer, shoppers flock to stock up on pool toys for their kids, so stay a step ahead of the game and start marketing these items early!
- Cleaning supplies and home improvement tools are also big this time of year. As consumers read about spring cleaning strategies, they’ll likely look to replenish their supplies for both in and outdoor organization. Don’t limit your sourcing to detergent and disinfectant wipes alone- power equipment, such as lawnmowers, chainsaws, and weed whackers, can be just as essential.
There are also a few categories of General Merchandise products that are worth considering.
- With spring comes a new season of sports, creating an increased demand for equipment and memorabilia. Especially as March Madness approaches, there’s no better time to stock up on sports team apparel and accessories to appeal to a wide base of fans.
- Outdoor activities such as camping, hiking, and water sports are also big spring favorites, so consider sourcing tents, water bottles, backpacks, flashlights, and cooking supplies to meet the demands of active customers. Shoppers often seek out these products through most of the summer, so consider stocking up on these items to encourage repeat customers.
- And, of course, don’t forget spring observances and holidays. From younger adult shoppers planning their spring break getaways, to families preparing for the long Memorial Day weekend, demand for beach and swimwear will be on the rise.
So there you have it: your sourcing tips for spring 2019. Sellers, are there items that traditionally do well for you in springtime? Let us know in the comments!