It’s that time of year again where we change back the clocks and leap forward into fresh start. For many, the thought of spring conjures up an array of exciting things to come: Spring break. Basketball, baseball, golf, and hockey season – to name a few. Spring cleaning. Warm weather. In the reselling world, gearing up for the joys of spring is often closely linked with hot retail moments. Soon those spring moments will be driving high demand in the online retail world. Buyers will be searching for sports memorabilia, cleaning supplies, bathing suits, and just about anything to do with the outdoors. And it’s up to you to source in advance to meet these demands for a successful spring selling season.
So how do resellers know what to source for spring selling in order to meet the needs of their customers and maximize sales this spring selling season? We’ve broken it down so that you know where to start with the hottest spring trends and how to get ahead on sourcing for spring!
Spring Trends by Category:
- In the Apparel & Accessories category, there are some hot trends that you may want to consider in your sourcing and listing strategies:
- As retailers begin to evolve, trends like athleisure have become more prevalent. According to Retail Dive, the Athleisure trend is predicted to reach $83 billion in global sales by 2020. To accommodate this growing demand, it’s essential that resellers stock up on those products that most appeal to a younger, more active demographic.
- We’re seeing high demand for casual shoe trends such as mules, slide-ons, and sneakers.
- As more shoppers gear up for the warm weather and more outdoor time, spring dresses and accessories also spike in demand. Think maxi dresses, boho-chic styles, and large frame sunglasses.
- Home & Garden is mainly about outdoor activities, spring cleaning , and giving your home a fresh start. Demand consistently spikes around a handful of subcategories:
- Outdoor furniture and accessories are always a huge necessity this time of year. As the weather starts to improve, more customers will be rushing to furnish their backyards and deck out their patios in seasonally appropriate decor. Families will be grilling and hosting outdoor cookouts to celebrate the warm weather. Consider marketing to the young family demographic, as many of these shoppers are looking to get started on growing their furniture and decor collection.
- Mother’s Day is the perfect holiday to market trendy home decor products. Consumers will be looking for brands that cater to to stylish, yet affordable, home decor.
- Pool equipment like inflatables and floaties are also great to source this time of year. Each year, around July 4th, shoppers flock to stock up on pool toys for their kids. Stay a step ahead of the game and start marketing these items early on!
- Cleaning supplies and home improvement tools are also huge this time of year. Consumers are readings all about spring cleaning, and they’ll likely need to replenish their supply this season. Don’t limit your sourcing to detergent and clorox wipes – power equipment like lawnmowers, chainsaws, and weed whackers are just as essential for many families as well.
- Customers will also be itching for hot General Merchandise products.
- Sports season calls for higher demand for sports equipment and memorabilia. With March Madness right around the corner there’s no better time to stock up on sports team apparel and accessories for all the basketball fans out there.
- Other spring favorites include outdoor activities such as camping, hiking, and water sports. Consider sourcing tents, water bottles, backpacks, flashlights, and cooking supplies to meet the demands of your active customers. Demand for these products doesn’t die down until late summer, so you can be confident that customers will keep coming back.
- And, of course, don’t forget spring break. As young shoppers start planning their vacation getaways, demand will certainly increase for warm weather clothing and swimwear.
- And consumers will also be thinking about all of the upcoming spring holidays.
So there you have it: your sourcing tips for Spring 2018. Sellers, tell us, are there items that traditionally do well for you in springtime? Let us know in the comments.