Last week, members of the BULQ team attended eBay Open 2019 to meet with resellers and see what the future of eBay has in store. Whether we saw you at the BULQ booth (thanks for coming by!) or you were unable to make the event, read on for highlights from the year’s biggest “sellerbration.”
As usual, this year’s main general session was chock full of platform updates and other seller surprises. Here are a few highlights:
Similar to Amazon FBA, eBay announced Managed Delivery; its own end-to-end fulfillment service for sellers, set to launch in the U.S. starting next year. The service will give sellers the ability to store, pack, and ship their products through eBay’s logistics partners, with eBay handling customer service. Other benefits include:
- Lower fulfillment costs: Seller can save on fulfillment/delivery expenses via eBay’s negotiated shipping rates.
- Seller protections: Participating sellers will receive the same protections as Top Rated Sellers for Managed Delivery transactions. In addition, eBay will also remove any negative, neutral, or “item not received” feedback.
- Simplified and faster shipping: In collaboration with their fulfillment partners, eBay will manage logistics to ship items quickly and efficiently.
- Reduced inventory storage: Sellers can store merchandise at Managed Delivery centers to cut back on storage space and costs.
Multi-User Account Access
Sellers can now add employees or delegates to perform activities on their behalf without giving full access to their eBay account. This is available now for listing capabilities, with more shipping support features being rolled out later in the year.
Terapeak for All
Terapeak, eBay’s seller analytics tool, is now free for ALL eBay store subscribers via a Research tab in Seller Hub.
Advanced Seller Protections
For top-rated U.S. sellers who offer 30-day returns, eBay is offering two new forms of financial protection starting October 1, 2019:
- Return label credit: If a buyer makes a false “item not as described” claim, eBay will provide sellers credit to cover the cost of the buyer’s return shipping label.
- Partial refunds: Sellers can now issue partial refunds for items that are returned damaged.
Other Interesting Updates
Aside from the major announcements, we also learned of a few new tools and tips from eBay Open that are worth knowing about:
Improved Listing Flow
eBay has improved the Item Specifics section of its listing process to highlight which details are more important to include. Rather than appearing alphanumerically, all specifics will be ranked by relevance, with the most frequent item values appearing at the top. This will help sellers quickly create relevant listings that drive awareness and conversions.
White Background Listing Images Tool
A new in-app tool will enable sellers to take pictures of items and automatically insert a neutral white background. Note- this feature is currently only available to iOS users.
Full Managed Payments Integration
Managed Payments, eBay’s internal transaction and payment management system, will be integrated with ALL eBay stores within the next year. Sellers can voluntarily opt in to Managed Payments now, but will be required to adopt the service by July 2020.
Tips from the BULQ Team
What would Open be if we didn’t share some tricks of our own?? If you’re looking to attend next year, our BULQ booth team has a few pro tips to keep in mind:
Take Advantage of the App
“Use. The. App. Seriously, it was SO helpful in keeping track of when all the different workshops and sessions were. There’s even a view where you can select and view only what you’re interested in, which made it really easy to see where I needed to go next.”
- Courtney, BULQ’s Brand Manager
“Drink plenty of water! There are lots of water stations around the conference area, so bring a reusable bottle that you can refill between sessions.”
- Will, BULQ Enterprise’s Sales Specialist
Visit the Sponsor Booths
“Stop by all of the sponsor booths even if you don’t think you need their products or services. I did that this year and discovered several great companies and products that I hadn’t previously heard of. We also found that a lot of attendees stopped by the BULQ booth and initially weren’t interested, only to find out more and sign up for an account on the spot.”
- Blair, BULQ’s Senior Director of Brand Marketing
Sellers- were you at eBay Open? What was your favorite announcement? Any tips that we missed? Leave your answers in the comments below!